The ultimate desert adventure in Oman
Uncover the secrets of the Arab world with a local guide and revel in the noiseless beauty of its wind-blown deserts, majestic mountains and unspoiled coastline, all while staying in luxury Bedouin-style tents.
When to go: October – April
- Drive into the striking mountains of the Salmah Plateau (1,500-2,000m above sea level) for a unique two-night stay in a luxury camp. You’ll stop off at the mountain village of Balad Sayt for a freshly prepared picnic lunch
- Explore Jebel Shams, the highest point in Oman, where you can do an incredible section of Via Ferrata
- Discover the Al Hajar mountain range on a guided mountain bike adventure and look out for some of the many local butterfly species. At night you will have the opportunity to look deep into distant galaxies using telescopes alongside an expert astrologer
- Walk through the small town of Nizwa, famed for its history and go in search of your own ingredients in the local souks before teaming up with a local chef to be taught how to cook traditional Omani dishes
- Venture deep into the Wahiba Sands to take to the skies in a microlight – an incredible way to appreciate the scale of the desert
- Drive into the Empty Quarter, the largest contiguous sand desert in the world, and a pristine wilderness perfect for exploration and escapism. You will make a detour to the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Wadi Dawkah and learn about the prized resin Frankincense.
- Stay in a private luxury-tented camp, far from the nearest tourists, in utter isolation and silence. Your Bedouin hosts will share their knowledge and teach you how to ‘read’ the desert. Exploring the area on foot or on a camel trek, the best ways to uncover the secrets of the desert
- Visit a closed-off nature reserve to track the incredibly rare Arabian leopards. Learn to spot their markings and take a look at the latest camera trap activity alongside a conservationist and expert tracker
- Head to the coast to explore the intricate coastline and waters of the Arabian Sea. Fill your days with swimming, scuba diving or snorkeling, looking out for turtles and nurse sharks